Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Football Season Won!




Saturday, we had our first snow of the season. The wind blew and it was a "balmy" 37 degrees outside! I was not inside my comfy house, I was attending my son's football game!










This year is the first year my son, Grant, joined a tackle-football league. My husband, Glenn, is helping to coach Grant's team. Glenn is having fun with coaching, and is learning to appreciate the game in a whole new way.
We have had 4 games and now are in the playoffs. I can see improvement every week in the players, not in the area of the score but the team keeps accomplishing techniques. The last game of the season they came up with a win and they won the Saturday playoff game.
For me the winning is not the important part. I just kept encouraging Grant to do his best and that is all anyone is asking of him. For me the important part is seeing a dad and his son bonding. To hear a son saying, "Thanks, Dad, for coaching me" is a prize. Football to me is seeing my son in a whole new way. He is the center for the team. The center is in charge of the huddle, so he has taken on that role, which is so unlike him.
The team may not have a winning record. The team may not win their bracket in the championship. But my son has already won! And this mom, couldn't be more proud!

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Yeah, Grant! Way to go...and Steph, keep being that supportive, encouraging mom!

Beth Herring said...

That's what I call a great mom! Only a mom can know the joy of sitting in the cold and snow for their children. I can remember cheering in the snow when I lived in North Dakota!

Annie said...

Woo HOO!!! I remember sitting at games when my boys played. Used to make a pit stop at Starbucks before the game and then piled into blankets while there. I had the same attitude you do about the game. But now my boys are so much older and although neither play football anymore, our home is still a bevy of college and NFL games. And this mom is slowly learning the language of football and having fun doing so!